I'm Susan - wife to one, mom to four, strategy consultant to (mostly) nonprofits, fast-talking Yankee. Until recently I was a part time homeschool mom and Ma Ingalls-pretender on a 22-acre hobby farm in Virginia. But our family struck out on new ventures in summer 2016 when we moved to the Greek island of Crete. Beneath my "roles," wherever I'm living them, run the unifying strands of following Jesus, pursuing beauty, loving words, deepening relationships.
It's a hand-stitched, DIY life we share - my outdoorsman husband, our one son and three daughters, and me. We traded our 100-year-old farmhouse, thirteen chickens, seven sheep and dog for a tall stone house overlooking the Mediterranean on a glorious island where we don't speak the language (yet). Together we forge ahead, often in the scrappiest of fashions, through the cycle of learn-squabble-forgive-repeat.
I'm privileged to team with great folks making a difference in the world through my (part-time) strategy/program consulting work with nonprofits. For fifteen years I've done this work; my most recent clients have been Prison Fellowship International, Barna Research Group, and Gordon College.
I'm about living fully the adventure that is life, and fully engaging the soul in the process... and my writing tends toward those themes. This post, "Do you remember? & themes of our lives," serves as a catch-all of the stuff I most frequently write about. And if you want to check out a few of my popular posts, see:
- Giving up my imaginary kid: on working through hard moments in parenting
- Hosting: poignant moments: about hosting an orphan for a summer through Project 143
- On spending and Plato: on learning to become less frugal
- A definition of suffering (and my gimp ear): on sudden hearing loss and getting a hearing aid
- Living in Greece: stuff I've learned this fall: a roundup of "findings" from our first three months living in Crete
- The edge of adventure: my remarkable, unremarkable boots about living out adventure through the seasons of life
You can find me (here obviously! and also) on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. You can sign up here to receive my blog posts directly to your inbox, so you never miss a post. Or contact me directly and I'll be sure to get back to you.
I'm part of an online writing community called Hope*Writers - the best. If you write, check it out! Also I also sometimes participating in the following blog linkups: Chasing Community, This ain't the Lyceum (7 Quick Takes), Crystal Storms, Arabah Joy, Fresh Market Friday, Kristin Hill Taylor, Coffee and Conversation, Patricia Holbrook, Emily Freeman's What we learned.
Thanks for stopping in; I'm so glad you did!